Friday, May 18, 2007

Fading Hopes

I'm once again fervently reading pagingdr whenever I can, after successfully fighting my obsession with the site about 4-6 weeks ago. Now I can't get enough info on all things to do with 2008 medical student places at Sydney universities.

But of course pagingdr is comprised of numerous other threads. And it is in these other threads where I have slowly (ok, maybe not that slowly LOL) come to the realisation that my Overall GAMSAT Score is probably not going to be as competititve this year as I would have liked.

So now my thoughts are currently revolving around the following themes (in no particular order or frequency):

- I probably won't even get a chance at an interview at USyd. Should I drop them down to 2nd preference then?

- Do I even WANT to go to USyd? Even before the results came out, I was already leaning towards UND(S), as I felt my own values and preferred learning structure/environment sounds like it will be more synonymous with this uni (based on the information that the uni has on its website). To be honest, I feel that I am only applying to USyd because of its well-established name.

- But UND(S) is brand spanking new. No one has even heard of the university. Although is this even going to really matter in a few years??

- There are soooo many applicants this year; no doubt a vast majority of them in Sydney. Simply only because it's the largest city in the country. What chance do I have at an interview, based on my mediocre Score??

- Should I continue putting in the time and effort (and $$!) in to my current career, if I am absolutely determined to get in to medicine?

- I'm pretty sure I'm going to sit the UMAT in July this year, so I will at least have the option to go to UWS. (Or UNSW I guess, but I doubt I want to go there for 6 years. I'm no spring chicken and time is slowly becoming a more and more valuable asset to me...! LOL)

- Do I really want to put all this energy in to all of this??!?

My initial happy feelings from yesterday's results is slowly withering away... :(

No comments: